Important announcement: Due to funding constraints, from Tuesday 18 June 2019 JusticeNet’s Pro Bono Referral Service will no longer take telephone enquiries for pro bono legal assistance.
If you are looking for over the phone legal advice, please contact the Legal Help Line on 1300 366 424.
About the service
Our pro bono referral service can connect you with a lawyer to help on a pro bono basis (for free). The degree of assistance that your pro bono lawyer can provide will depend on the nature of your legal problem and other factors.
How do I apply for assistance?
To apply for pro bono legal assistance then you will need to download and complete an application form from this page and send it, along with your supporting documents, by email to [email protected]. Before you apply, please read our eligibility guidelines below to see whether your matter falls within the scope of the matters with which we can assist.
Who we can help
We can refer individuals and charitable not-for-profit organisations with issues that relate to South Australian or Federal law.
To determine whether your matter is suitable for referral, JusticeNet applies eligibility criteria and guidelines. We will only refer you for pro bono legal assistance if, to our satisfaction:
- you have exhausted all other avenues for legal assistance;
- you cannot afford a lawyer; and
- your case has legal merit.
We will also consider other factors such as whether your problem raises a matter of public interest, the capacity of the pro bono lawyers who participate in our service and our own resources.
Generally, we will give priority to those experiencing the greatest hardship.
What we cannot help with
Unfortunately, we cannot assist with urgent legal matters. If you need urgent legal assistance then please contact the Legal Help Line on 1300 366 424.
Because pro bono resources are finite there are certain types of legal matters that the Pro Bono Referral Service cannot assist with:
- family law matters (please contact the Legal Help Line on 1300 366 424)
- criminal law matters (please contact the Legal Help Line on 1300 366 424)
- wills and estates;
- commercial and business disputes,
- building disputes,
- traffic offences and motor vehicle accidents,
- personal injury or compensation matters.
JusticeNet acknowledges the support of:
- our members and network of pro bono lawyers in public and private practice
- the University of Adelaide Law School
- the Law Foundation of South Australia.